Sunday, June 29, 2008

Airport people watching.

I am a self-admitted people watcher. I LOVE trying to figure people out based on appearance and I think I have a pretty good grasp on it. So I'm constantly looking at people, and airports are the best place to do it, I think.
In airports, you get a taste of all different people from all over the world. And I have airport people watching down to a science. You look once at their face every 7.5 minutes unless they're far away and won't ever notice if you dare to take a second glance. I like looking at the far away people most because I get the full concept.
I see moms that are mid-40s and trying to compensate, as if all-stars and an asymmetrical haircut somehow take the years off. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for people wearing what they want, but sometimes you can just tell that its not really them.
I love trying to figure out which one is the air marshall. Obviously he's going to be alone, probably somewhere between 30 and mid 50s, and quietly and nonchalantly observant. Right now, I really can't figure it out. All the guys here that are traveling alone fit pretty well into the businessman, typing away on laptops (or probably just playing WOW since let's be honest, what can you REALLY accomplish on a computer with no internet access? DATA? Paperwork? Nah. WOW? Maybe I'm on to something... Just think about it.) or coffee-drinking husband going home from some family-related visit to Utah.
I see high school wrestlers, so excited about either the trip to come, or going home, or maybe its just the ridiculous levels of energy that some teenagers, especially those on sports teams, seem to exude.
There's a kid about 18 years old waiting to board, so anxious to do whatever he's going to do. He's grinning like a pig cause I just looked over. He has a BIG silver ring on each finger of his left hand, and some blue, white, and yellow Nike high tops that he just bought with his hard earned boy-band paycut. His hair is highlighted and spiked with such perfection that a cosmetology student such as myself is disgusted with the amount of time spent on such a tragic hairstyle. I used "such" three times in that last sentence which means I'm losing my touch so I'm going to go read now. (oh, and the new kid on the block was just waiting for his mother :])

See yall in Texas.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: